SailNet Community - View Single Post - Linux and other adventures into the unknown.
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
For a somewhat mediocre puter such as I this is most certainly into the unknown.

Last weekend we had the great pleasure of welcoming young BenT aka BentSailor on board the Womboat. May I say that he is a thoroughly personable young chap who brings along beer and lively conversation. He's welcome to come back anytime. Sorry about the coffee B.
Golly you HAVE been busy, TD!

Did you get out for a sail at all? I trust the political discussions weren't any hotter than the coffee??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Anywho .... the subject of Linux came up along with a notebook I have that runs Windows Vista. I really did goof there. Could have bought the thing downgraded (some effing downgrade) with XP but I went Vista. What a load of garbage. Within six months it had started rejecting updates and stubbonly refuses to install any update going back 18 months or so.

Ergo I am about to either re format the thing and load Windows 7 or should I be thinking Linux ? Should I ?
You? The totally non-computer-nerd considering LINUX??

Visions of Wombats chasing Penguins... oh, deary deary me, this is going to get REALLY messy!!...

Ok, I checked and it isn't April Fool's day for a few months yet, so, assuming you're serious, the first step for you would be to get rid of Vista. Yep, you'll need to reformat the hard-drive.

Does the notebook have drivers for Win7? If so, install that. If not, take the plunge and install Ubuntu. Like Paul said.

Last edited by Classic30; 08-25-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook