SailNet Community - View Single Post - Linux and other adventures into the unknown.
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
I love Linux. I considered running the latest version on my newest laptop which arrived with 7 installed.

So far: I'm liking Windows 7 just fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hedging as everything is backed up to a portable, and the Linux disc is burned and waiting (I tried it out as a live cd and loved it BTW)

As to ease of use and compatibility: I'm not sure all drivers will be available for all devices, but reports of software not functioning under Wine are getting fewer and farther between. There is almost always a Linux version of something, and it usually works better than the Windows version. The interface is familiar, and in some cases when you go back to Windows you will find it frustrating at first. The operating system itself is rock solid as a rule (my daughter ran a desktop for 3 months without shutting it down off of a live cd and it was stable when I caught it and shut it down)

I would recommend backing everything up, and running a dual boot setup. Try the latest version of Linux from a live cd to see if your computer will get along with it. The last version of Ubuntu I tried also came with a very nifty tool that allowed you to run dual boot and made partitioning the hard drive a point and click proposition.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook