SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Irene - Chesapeake
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
When I said "stack the water up" I was reffering to storm surge

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
This is my first storm since moving to Herrington Harbor South so I'm not real sure what to expect. The marina is in a small (man made?) bowl with the entrance aligned north-northeast, so it looks like with winds from the north and east as forecast that water could pile up.
Sustained wind from the south--what Isabell brought--blew up the Bay for many hours and caused the water to "stack up." The tides were ~ 6-8 feet above normal in some areas. In marinas, this unusualy high water has 2 effects: boats must be tied just so in order to move without hitting anything or trying to pull the pilings up, and the high tide allows waves to go over the break waters. HHN got absolutly mangled during Isabell because the tide was high and the waves came in from the east. Then they got a new stone breakwater.

The other thing that happens is that once a few boats and docks come loose, they start banging into things.

Wouldashoulda summarized it nicely. I'm going to slack my stern lines a bit, wrap the spin halyard around the genoa, and call it good.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook