SailNet Community - View Single Post - elizabethan 29
Thread: elizabethan 29
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011

El malabarista is on a distinguished road
Hi Will
Many thanks for your kind offer.
My wife and i bought this project yacht
as we wanted to design her systems and interior to suit our dream of sailing her to our beach house in Nicaragua. We realise we are a long way off as neither of us has ever skippered a yacht before.
We were told that she was moulded from the plug of an Elizabethan 29 by an old boatbuilder who was unfortunately unable to complete her due to ill health.
The hull was completed in 1998 and the deck was designed by him and built from marine ply which he then glassed over. There are substantial
Differences from the original design of the coachroof especially.
We have his original drawings and a few calculations as to speed and sail area etc. She then passed to a non
Sailor who ( bless him) had no idea and apparently sought no advice. He put on all the deck fittings stanchions mast step pulpit and pushpit by screwing self tappers straight into the fibreglass with no backing of any sort. These we can remove and glass in hardwood backing blocks.
There is no engine fitted so we have bought a reconditioned 2gm20 yanmar which we intend to fit when we remove the coachroof to raise the head height by four inches.
The mast that was sold with the boat is 30' 11'' made by Proctor spars in aluminium. There is no boom.
The mast step is damaged and needs to be replaced. The chainplates are very thin and inadequate ( in my opinion) and need to be hacked out and replaced.
The cockpit is fitted with two lewmar winches which need to be removed and fitted with backing blocks.
The rudder was badly fitted and does not have full range of movement as it binds on the aft edge of the keel.
There is no cutout for the prop so once we have the engine in we will need to align the propshaft fit a stern gland and fashion a cutout.
We need to create a chain locker in the forepeak drainage for it and then use the rest of the space for sail storage.
I will stop there as the more i am writing the more i am realising what a HUGE task i have undertaken.
The good news is i have already removed 675kg of tiny lead shot from the keel and stored it. ( worth almost as much as we paid for the boat!)
I have welded up a trailer to move her to our new house when we finally exchange contracts next month.
I am planning to stop work in september and work full time on her (along with building a 2 storey wooden chalet/garage to house my inlaws and my Harley)
We do have a build business with carpenters painters electricians plumbers etc most of whom have pledged to help me out on weekends and holidays so i am not alone.
My wife is an architect my father in law is a cabinetmaker and civil engineer and i am usually fairly good at fixing stuff however none of us have ever built a yacht before.
We have been buying a long list of things for her including instrumentation
Water and fuel tanks deck hardware etc etc.
Your advice is eagarly awaited
Kindest regards
David and Ros
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook