SailNet Community - View Single Post - Build Quality: Ericson, Pearson, Sabre, Tartan
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011
Bali Hai

mgraham49 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to mgraham49
Pearson 10m

Someone should speak up for the
Pearsons. I have owned the same Pearson 10m (10 meter, 32.8 feet I think) since 1975. Hard to believe I bought it when I was 25, and was working on it this morning at age 61.

We have raced, cruised, raised children and grandchildren on it. It has been sturdy and virtually indestructible.

It has been a great sailing boat, still outpointing and quicker than many newer boats. It is moderate displacement at 12,000 pounds, fin keel, skeg hung rudder.

The early 10m (serial number less than 100) had a chainplate issue which was resolved in the post #100 boats, AMD could be fixed in the earlier boats.

I mention all of this because the late 70s and early 80s pearsons were built more heavily than the ericsons. I love the lines of the ericsons, and their trademark black mast, but I would rather be on my Pearson in an
Open Ocean blow.

Prices are way down on the 10m. I have a theory that any boat that cannot be immediately identified by the name as to size doesn't have as good a resale. Tartan 10s are an example, but a very different boat.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook