SailNet Community - View Single Post - Real Emergencies & Fixes (The YM Crash Boat)
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Another thing that was interesting to me was the inverted stability of that Jeanneau(?) w/o the mast! They had to keep craning it to get it to pop from the turtle. Imagine if a mast and sails were on that!

It seems even more obvious that you need wave action to right a mono - and that you might be inverted for a while if you really do go over. Freakin' scary.

Smack,
I'm wondering if the setup of the sling had something to do with that. I need to go back and watch the vid again but I thought thei was mention of the sling being attached in such a way as to keep the thing turtled.

It would seem pretty surprising that the Jeanneau would not be inherently unstable when upside down. Not particularly broad in the beam and certainly no 'wings' to hold it over.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook