SailNet Community - View Single Post - Build Quality: Ericson, Pearson, Sabre, Tartan
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand River Raider View Post
I'm with you Tempest...this would be ideal. Find the fussiest 1980's production boat owner around and then make him/her an offer.
You would not be the first to do this. We managed to find an original owner when we bought ours 6 yrs or so ago. Yes there were a few things we needed to do.....well.....maybe a lot in the end, more than I thought we would do. But so goes the battle! In the end frankly, from talking to a number of folks, seems like it takes about 3 yrs to get the boat the way YOU want it. Some were even asking the how many more $$$$ spent than the initial cost, not in xx%, but 2-3-4times the amount the boat cost! I think I am in the what seems more ave than 10-30%, more like 200-300% of the initial boat cost! I ahve about 30-50K into my boat, initial cost was $22K.

With this in mind.......we have replaced ALL the cushions and foam, someone else did the work, added 4 head sails, new main, spinaker. one head sail and main are string style, ie a UK tapedrive main and a Ullman fiberpath 155, for the racing. a 140 cruise genoa, 110 and a 130 drifter for the les than 5 knot days we race in. Another BIGGER maxed out spin vs one in the 85% max out range is in the horizan, and a 80'ish% of foretriangle headsail for the 30-45 knot windy days we race in. All new sheets, halyards etc in something more than sta-set. IE for the most part Sampsons XLS Extra-T, which is 2-3 times the cost of stayset. Mainsail cover to replace original, same with same sails for that matter! The original foam back vinyl hull/headliner was shot, I did that myself, but still had 2-3K in materials and probably 60-80 hrs in my time etc. Along with new varnish on ALL interior teak wood! the speed guage did not work, so a Raymarine triple pack of a knot, depth and anomommeter was installed at about $1500 for the kit, and another 750 or so IIRC for the labor. It all adds up to more than 20-30%, in my case, more like 200-300%! Then again, I am into my boat less than a new one, I know what is here. I'm enjoying the boat in the mean time. As I type, I remember more things, like the head, hoses to the tank.......

Marty