SailNet Community - View Single Post - Build Quality: Ericson, Pearson, Sabre, Tartan
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011

Grand River Raider is on a distinguished road
A quality boat despite company death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
The implication being that the best product survived while the inferior ones fell by the wayside? I hope that's not what you're saying. To digress, there were several manufactures now defunct that produced outstanding boats that are still considered superior to the boats you mention. I can think of a half dozen immediately off the top of my head. Customer service? Unless you're at the factory, manufacturers and brokers hire out local contractors to do their repair and commissioning. The same labor pool is available to anyone regardless of the age or manufacturer of their boat.
I'm interested in the names of those half dozen. Would they include Pearson and Ericson? Cape Dory? (Yes, I know that is only 3 )

And this was what I was trying to get at in my OP about build quality. The reputation seems to be that some of the builders, even if no longer in business, produced a superior product to some of the current manufacturers. I'm still trying to grasp exactly what superior build quality refers to and perhaps I'll have to fall back to the car analogy that is sometimes used to rank boats...however incomplete that may be.

GRR
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook