SailNet Community - View Single Post - Build Quality: Ericson, Pearson, Sabre, Tartan
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Trivia note: The Olson 911S and the Olson 25 were continued in production after EricsonYachts purchased the tooling in mid '88. The Olson 34 was designed by George Olson (with a lot of inspiration from the O-911S, a Carl Schumacher design) but Pacific Boats built only one before closing their doors and also conveying that tooling to Ericson.
Ericson then built another 38 (or 39, depending on who you ask) before themselves going out of business in '90.

I got to explore most of the below-decks spaces of an 80's Pacific Boats O-911S, and agree that it was VERY well built and finished. My EY-built Olson comes close, but it's still not as detailed out.

OTOH, I'm really glad that I do Not have a cored hull to be concerned about as our boat ages.

"Everything's a compromise," as a friend of mine always sez.

Cheers,
L

ps: while also "loath" to part with ours... we might sell it to buy one of the larger Ericsons.....
We have owned ours since '94... maybe time in our lives for one more boat, or not...

Last edited by olson34; 08-29-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook