SailNet Community - View Single Post - How long should I wait?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiguere View Post
If your boat can't hit a log or floating debris (logs, trees, etc) without being in danger of being holed and sinking, then you need to buy a new boat. The trouble with the typical "bay boat" is that many are not really sea worthy. They are constructed for typical bay weather...light, thin hulls, light rigging (masts, etc), relatively low displacement, etc, and when ocean type conditions arrive, they fall apart. We like to go out in 20-30 knot conditions in our fast, but relatively bullet proof 60's fiberglass boat, and I wouldn't let a floating log intimidate me. Check out a recent trip last Mother's Day: Varsity Sailing - YouTube
I am not sure how your video of a sail across the bay will help me determine if the bay is free of storm debris or not. But FYI, I sail an Alberg 30 which i am told were built pretty sturdy, prolly not as sturdy as your 1960s vintage, take anywhere in any conditions, battle barge. I was simply inquiring because do not want to cause unnecessary damage to my bottom paint, propellor or anything on my boat for that matter that can be avoided.
With that said, thanks to everyone who has posted. i am usually pretty observant when out on the water and I really had not thought about storm debris until the charter captain mentioned it, I guess his boat is just a "bay boat" like mine. Anyone have any recommendation for a sturdier boat than an Alberg 30, that is free and is in good working/sailable condition and of 1960s vintage??? if not i guess i will just stay at the dock and wish i had that boat in the video

Can someone please explain to me how bay sailing is any less demanding on a boat than ocean? I have been in some pretty rough weather in Cape cod bay, buzzards bay and now the Chesapeake. All of the places have some pretty severe conditions. I would rather be out in the open ocean in 30kts than the lower chesapeake with a 30kt NE wind! I have read the the threads about Bluewater boats and seaworthyness of a vessel and after sailing smaller boats and now my alberg "bay boat" 30 I can honestly say I think that the Skipper is 99% of a boats ability to deal with the conditions. I got stuck out in 40-50kts of wind on my alberg for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was an experience but there were plently of other "bay boats" that also made it back...just fine.

Ok, I am done! I have to remind myself that this is the internet and full of keyboard jockeys who like to toot their own horns when they can....BTW,nice video, i can only dream my Alberg 30 could handle and sail half as good as your 1960s family truckster in the conditions in your video.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook