SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard question- Onshore storage
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
If livingaboard has a component of freedom to move and cruise, doesn't shore storage represent a burdensome teather that works against the purpose of living on a boat?
Eh.. yes and no. You are what I consider to be an "extreme liveaboard". Since 1972? Been all over the globe? That's you. My impression (although I could be totally wrong) is that you also enjoy being a "man without a country".

My situation and motivations are a bit different than yours. My cruising range would be limited to the Eastern seaboard and the Carribbean. Paying a small, monthly fee to maintain a small storage unit of critical posessions like a tool shop and seasonal clothing is not a "burdensome tether" to me. I'm not planning on giving up my job or casting off all ties to society. I am interested in cruising, racing, perhaps living aboard, but still maintaining a base of operations on shore. That base will be whatever marina I decide to live in, and a small storage unit to hold a motorcycle, tool shop, work clothing and seasonal clothing since I live in the Mid-Atlantic and we get both extremes of weather here.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook