SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard question- Onshore storage
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Eh.. yes and no. You are what I consider to be an "extreme liveaboard". Since 1972? Been all over the globe? That's you. My impression (although I could be totally wrong) is that you also enjoy being a "man without a country".

My situation and motivations are a bit different than yours. My cruising range would be limited to the Eastern seaboard and the Carribbean. Paying a small, monthly fee to maintain a small storage unit of critical posessions like a tool shop and seasonal clothing is not a "burdensome tether" to me. I'm not planning on giving up my job or casting off all ties to society. I am interested in cruising, racing, perhaps living aboard, but still maintaining a base of operations on shore. That base will be whatever marina I decide to live in, and a small storage unit to hold a motorcycle, tool shop, work clothing and seasonal clothing since I live in the Mid-Atlantic and we get both extremes of weather here.
Actually, we might not be "extreme liveaboards" except in duration. We don't consume our ports and we enjoy community in about thirty east coast US and Bahamian ports all with strong ties to society,- most definitely a "man with a country". We do some "world cruising" by 747 and we've sailed on other peoples boats in far away places, but we stay between Maine and the Bahamas on board our own home. I see nothing undesirable about your "base of operations" on shore. Storage ashore and car or motorcycle ownership would be a burden to us by the nature of our cruising. We do have a "home port". We spend time from Thanksgiving to the new year with family on the St. Johns River. This location includes our extended family, doctor, dentist, veterinarian, bank, voting precinct and mail service. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook