SailNet Community - View Single Post - HELP! Move to Live Aboard Sparks Custody Battle
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011

bonmot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerust View Post
There are lots of forums about living aboard, and I've seen some that specifically talk about living aboard with a family. There are tons of examples of families that even have gone on long, extended cruises (like months at a time, covering thousands of miles) with kids. A guy working on the boat next to mine in the boatyard about a month ago told me he and his wife took their two kids on a 28-foot sailboat from Canada all the way down to the southern tip of the Bahamas - they lived on the boat for six months.

Google "living aboard" and you'll find the forums and some blogs as well.
Of course the key words here are "he and his wife". If a couple is in accord about any kind of lifestyle they want, they're free to pursue it. If one is seeking an advantage in the name of gaining more control over the child, almost any change in living situation can open the door to a battle over parental descretion. And let me tell you, there's not much worse in the world of parenting then having a court system micro-investigating and micro-managing one's paretning choices. It's both frustrating and humiliating. It's also stressful on the child to know that there is a battle raging over him and that more than anything else is why I detest my ex's decision to instigate this process.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook