SailNet Community - View Single Post - HELP! Move to Live Aboard Sparks Custody Battle
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011

bonmot is on a distinguished road
Update

I just received a communication from the court addressing our new "temporary" schedule. For the past year and a half or so, it's been 1 week with Dad and 1 week with Mom with a night swith on Thursdays just to break it up a little. This was great. My son pretty much designed this arrangement and it worked out well for a kid who really strives to maintain equity.

After my ex filed an emergency order for full custody (she claimed living on the boat had caused his very mild case of pneumonia even though he had only been on the boat a few times by then and despite his pediatrician flat out denying that living on the boat could have caused this illness), the judge had temporarily altered our arrangement to Dad on Tues, Wed and Thurs. During the summer months this wasn't too, too awful. But with school starting (yesterday) it would have been pretty bad.

As a temporary until a late October pre-trial (yes, trial, if you can believe it. We didn't even have a trial for the divorce), it's to be Dad Friday after school until Sunday evening. It didn't sound too good at first until I realized school days don't provide a lot of opportunity for hanging out anyway. Having every weekend is a real boon. So for now, it's ok. I'd still prefer the old schedule because I think that's what my son was looking for. We'll have to wait and see how this sorry mess unfolds over then next few weeks.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded. It has helped me feel encouraged and I hope this thread will continue to grow so as to be available for anyone else who has the misfortune of facing this kind of issue.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook