SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Way to Get from Lake Ontario to NYC
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
You could also go West through Chicago. I know it is what you had planned but it is possible. Welland Canal into Erie and West though the Great Lakes to Chicago and enter the river system there. You end up in Mobile Bay and the Florida Pan Handle. From there you can make the Keys and than on to your ultimate destination.
I don't know if your scheduled departure date would allow you to get South in time before it gets too cold or uncomfortable to make it, but it is a viable alternative route.
Not to me, it isn't... (grin) It would be a Mast-On-Deck Motor Job all the way from Chicago to the Gulf, then and LONG uphill slog from there to the BVI's... He'd be better off trucking it to the Hudson...

For the original poster, sounds like the Champlain route is your best shot. I've been caught twice in floods on the Erie, it ALWAYS takes longer than sooner to get going again, and this one sounds bad...

Going out the St Lawrence would certainly be do-able, but it could be a bit of a push, and you wouldn't have much time to savor that region... On the other hand, you could do Halifax-Bermuda-BVIs instead - but that's never been a route that holds much appeal to me in November...

If you make it through the Champlain, I doubt you'd have trouble finding a spot to re-step the mast on the Hudson... Hop-O-Nose in Catskill I'm sure would be back up and running, certainly Haverstraw could help you out... Worst case scenario might he to have to duck into W LI Sound to one of the yards there, or perhaps a spot like Lockwoods on Raritan Bay in NJ...

But, I'd put my eggs in the Champlain basket, and perhaps even investigate the possibility of trucking to the coast if you're committed to doing the trip this year...

This is a real shame, the Erie Canal is one of my favorite trips, I hate to hear of it getting torn up like that... Best of luck to you...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 09-02-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook