SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Way to Get from Lake Ontario to NYC
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Wow! Add the NYS Canal system to the list of major damage caused by 'Irene'. I heard that Vermont was trashed and I saw for myself all the flotsam (debris) in the Hudson River as that is where my boat is. Our boat which is on a mooring off Nyack had a huge beard of an unidentified fresh water weed mixed with branches, logs and litter.
If you can get through the Champlain canal our club (Nyack Boat Club) suffered minimal damage and we have a mast pulling/raising crane on our dock as well as several other working electrical lifts. It is a pretty long way down river from Albany but it could be an option for re-stepping your mast.
The eastern part of the 'Erie' canal that was damaged is on the Mohawk River which is a natural drainage basin. I believe that the Champlain Canal was largely man made and hopefully suffered minimal damage.

With all this damage I can't believe that some think that 'Irene' was over hyped by the media. Those of us who survived with little or no damage were just lucking fucky.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook