SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat pocket knife
View Single Post
post #36 of Old 09-02-2011
Minnewaska

The laws on one handed operation of a knife are vague. My knife can be opened with one hand (thankfully, as its designed to cut the other one out of the tangle), but does not have a spring, nor will it open by gravity. You get it started by pulling your finger over a tab near the pivot point and flick it with your wrist. You can get it open quite easily, but suspect this was designed not to meet the switchblade laws. I did however, buy a knife at a NY sporting good store that worked the same way, however, once you pulled on the tab, a spring finished the job. I was surprised and never understood how they were allowed to sell it, nor did I buy it for that reason. Nevertheless, I don't object. Each of these knives has a fairly short blade, under 4" for sure, probably 3", which may also make a difference under a given State's law.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome