SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Somebody got caught on the outside

65K views 391 replies 79 participants last post by  randyrhines 
#1 ·
At least the Coasties didn't need to rescue them:

See less See more
#386 ·
#387 ·
So all I want to know is when you (Jon) are heading down to the Bahamas again? November or December?
November??? You're kidding, right? Maybe in my next life, will I be able to head south with my own boat that early in the fall... (grin)

Once again, probably won't be until close to or after the Holidays before I get going - weather permitting, of course...

So, when are YOU gonna make the trip?

#390 ·
Given that most cats are decent navigators, I don't think Meka the cat was in charge or should be blamed for the wreck of the Hunter.

Sailing this boat with this crew off the anchor would seem unlikely to have succeeded.

Cutting the chain with an angle grinder in any sort of wind and seaway seems extremely unlikely to work.

The modern Hunters may actually be better built and engineered than the ones of the 80s; familiarity with the older models might account for some "bashing".

After slogging through this and other threads and related articles, it seems we still don't have answers to some basic questions about what happened. Do we know exactly why the boat left the marina initially and its exact condition? Also, do we know much about Michael's sailing experience before he got the boat in January 2010 (beyond the "20 years")?

Sometimes it's hard to tell whether some of the speculation is subject to set, drift, leeway, deviation, variation, projection or scale error. But it does seem to at least have plenty of scope out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.