SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
It's funny, I, my wife, and our two boys went to the boat today for a sail. The wind was absolutely perfect at 15 knots. From the northeast - so perfect for the GR course run. I was excited. I'd challenged the boys to turn the boat over to them to see if they could get it from point A to B. And they were ready.

But, we got there and were screwed. Our marina had been pushed out into the lake because the water level has dropped so much due to the drought. The result was that we were stuck in our slip. There were rocks literally 25 feet off our stern, with the wind pushing us right into them. No way to back out a 27 footer.

So, why am I posting in BFS? Simple, my wife and I sat in the cockpit, drinking D&S's while the boys swam, and talked seriously about springing for the "coastal boat" and spending some time in the islands. Big hurdle overcome.

Sailing has become a real part of our lives as a family. We all love it. And it doesn't get bigger than that.

I love this whole sailing thing. IMUSO, it's life's best privilege....bar none.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-03-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook