SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice, please on crimping wire connections...
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006
Dyslexic, Not Daft !

jorjo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Nah, we just think you're an illiterate, ignorant and obnoxious A$$.
Huh? but I've already told you I'm not American

Some may find this A Usefull Tip.

Many prototype electronic circuits where "potted" traditionally to prevent repairs or reconstruction by the end user. the technique involved nothing more than a small container, a bedding layer of epoxy,then insert circuit and cover with more epoxy until level.

things like smashed or broken junction boxes can easily be re/constructed mid voyage using any small container and epoxy.

The most successfull use of the method I know of was a seagoing fishing boat where the bilge pump wiring got severed close to the pump and the repair was made at sea by stripping and twisting the tails before drying and "potting" them in Araldite filled screw top bottle caps. The repair was still 100% effective 6 years later when the bilge pump was being replaced during a refit.

I don't recomend leaving an on the fly repair do for 6 years, but none the less the method and simplicity of quickly fabricating lasting waterproof repair suitable for many tricky situations at sea using such common onboard items is one worth mentioning.

The method can also be used for casing repairs for dropped/ cracked handheld radios or gps etc if they are cracked but still functioning (since the epoxy is also an effective electrical insulator.)
Simply fill all cracked and exposed areas then tape up or wrap in plastic for shaping untill the epoxy sets.

The result may be ugly and irreversable but at least any remaining functionality can be effectively preserved untill the end of that leg of a voyage

Last edited by jorjo; 08-23-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook