Thanks for the encouraging words. You know I felt so foolish after asserting to my family and all that I knew the 'basics' of what I was doing and I was rather determined to get out and try to really sail the Sunfish as soon as there was some decent wind. We had had about 3 weeks of 105+ temps and 1 or 2 knots of wind. So when the front came through and it cooled off to about 95 ( Hah!) with a stiff steady wind, I was set to go. I knew I would rather have it blowing softer, but I also knew I needed more wind than there had been so even though I was a bit nervous to launch I was again..determined.
Determination is not always the best deciding factor perhaps
Very happy to know I'm not alone in my overenthused first time out, and it sounds as if others have had worse experiences! Not that I'd wish that on anybody, but it does help to ease the pain and want to try again..on a more appropriate weather day!