SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alajuela 38
Thread: Alajuela 38
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011

LittleFlower is on a distinguished road
Pierce,
I am trying to join an Alajuela yahoo group because I am interested in this boat. Can you provide the link to the Yahoo group? Currently I have a Nor'Sea 27, which I'm trying to sell so I can save for a family size boat in the future. I am considering an Alajuela and would like to learn more via a Yahoo group conversation.
Sincerely,
Teresa
Teresa Carey's Sailing, Simplicity, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpo3 View Post
I own and sail Wabi Sabi - Alajuela 38 #63 build in 1977. We did a 5 year restoration: we did it all. The boats are build like tanks. Everything was done right; there were no short cuts.

The Alajuela 38 design was actually patterned after the Goucho - which was an Atkins-Archer that actually sailed well. The builders were two guys who were worked in the So. Cal. boating industry in the 70s and set out to build a cruising boat for themselves. The plan was to build 8 boats, keep 2 and sell the other 6. Mike Riding kept to the plan but Rod Jermaine kept building boats because the demand was there. They ended up building 81 A38s and about 30 A33s.

In the Winter/Spring of 2006/07 my wife and I sailed to the Bahamas and back from Maryland. We sailed in all kinds of conditions. We kept a detailed blog of our trip - with a number of sailing stories: many of which commented on performance. You can find them in our Yahoo group the name of which is "RuthandPierce". Message number 177, 193, and 210 all contain descriptions of our experiences making passages in Wabi Sabi, but there are many other posts that talk about life aboard an Alajuela 38 and her sailing characteristics. I'd post links, but Sailnet won't let me until my "post count" is 2 or greater.

Pierce Ostrander
s/v Wabi Sabi, Galesville, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook