SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winterizing checklist
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You should really check the Pink RV Antifreeze, as most antifreeze has to be mixed with water for the maximum temperature protection. This may be why you had a broken head, as the pink stuff may have frozen under low enough temperatures.

You should also flush the cooling system of the engine and change the oil in it. Letting used oil sit in an engine over the winter is not really good for it, as used engine oil has some very corrosive byproducts in it.

I would also recommend removing your batteries and putting them in storage, as allowing them to freeze is really not good for them. A smart charger should also be used to top the batteries off occasionally, as they will self-discharge over the winter, and not keeping them charged is bad for them.

I would also cover any gear left exposed on the boat, like winches, windlasses, etc. I would also remove the tiller if your boat is tiller steered.

Another thing to do is open and close all the seacocks and lubricate them. Pull the transducers—speed and depth—and replace with dummy plugs.

Check the zincs on the boat, and replace any as needed. They should be replaced when they are half their original size—a new brand of zinc has come on the market and has a red plastic button embedded in it...and the button shows when it is time to replace them.

I'd also pull the propane tank, if any, from the boat and store it elsewhere.

Fogging the engine is a good idea, as is topping off the gas tank with a stabilized gas, however, with the new ethanol blends, the topping off of the gas tanks may need to be re-thought, as the ethanol appears to allow the gas to degrade faster and also attacks certain parts of the fuel system, especially on older boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook