SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another docking question
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Another docking question

My situation is a lot easier than many of you, so it isn't that I'm complaining but I could use some suggestions.

I have a good slip and most of the time getting in an out is not an issue. However, when the wind is coming from the North, as it was on Saturday, I have some trouble.

Here is my slip:

For a variety of reasons, we Starboard tie. My LOA is about 42 feet. Note the fairway width. With a North wind, the bow tends to fall off the Port pushing me against the finger on that side. If I come in nice and slow, as I normally do, the wind pushes me too far. If I come in faster, to give the wind less chance to push me, then I have to reverse harder to slow down (which I don't like to to) and with my prop walk that pushes my stern to Port. In either case, it makes stepping off the dock to Starboard difficult.

On Saturday, I drifted too far to Port so my wife couldn't step off so I had to reverse and back out and try again. I didn't touch anything, but not something that I want to do very often!

One thing that came to me as I looked at the image was to step off to Port when the wind is coming from the North. It is a bit harder to judge the distance to the dock on the Port side as my throttle control is on the Starboard rail (a stupid design flaw on the part of Catalina IMO). I could step off to Port, temporarily tie the boat, and the move to the boat to the Starboard side to permanently tie off.

Any other suggestions?

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook