SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lead ballast bolts
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006

scottcarter is on a distinguished road
Lead ballast bolts

I'm building an all wood schooner in southern Thailand. Shes about 22 meters on deck and will have a 3 ton cast lead ballast hung beneath a largish solid wood fin keel (all a very traditional "grand banks" schooner design). I hadn't expected this to be a problem, but silicon bronze (my first choice) bolts or rod stock are not to be found in this part of the world (or are they, anyone?). So, the external lead ballast under the deadwood still needs bolting on, and I'm torn between two options. The first one is to insulate stainless steel keel through bolts using machined plastic bushings (glass filled nylon or another non-compressive plastic). The second is where my question lies. What about copper? Electrolytic erosion being the obvious concern, is copper reasonably compatible, in this sense, with lead? Given, of course, adequate tensile strength for the copper bolts and enough of them, is this a good option (e.g. is the likelihood of electrolysis as great as with a pairing of ferrous and lead)?
Any help or fwd. ing is appreciated.
Kind Regards -
Scott Carter
www.tsunamiboatproject.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook