SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mississippi Barrier Islands
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011

SailorWade is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to SailorWade Send a message via Skype™ to SailorWade
Mississippi Barrier Islands

I've noticed that there isn't a lot of recent info out there about the islands off the coast of Mississippi. Hurricane Katrina changed the islands and anchorages so I wanted to hear from people who've sailed around there in the last couple of years and had recent info. I've you've never been out to any of them, they are worth checking out! Horn, Ship, and Cat Island definitely seem like a whole new world after sailing out of the muddy waters in the Mississippi sound. They offer sand beaches, great fishing, and wooded islands to explore.

I typically go out to Horn Island. There is deep water at a place referred to as "the horseshoe" which is closer towards the west end on the north side of the island. You can get in close, but there is no protection from north winds. I've been to Cat Island also, but only once. Getting stuck on the bottom at low tide soured me on the place a little bit. If you've been out there, I would love some info on anchoring in Smuggler's Cove. My boat's draft is 4.5 feet and that would be a great place to tuck in if it is possible. Also, has anyone sailed out to Chandeleur Island? That would be a nice sail out of Biloxi, and I have yet to find anything online about anyone sailing down there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook