SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sometimes, when everything goes wrong...
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
We keep a dedicated 4-part block and tackle rigged with a snap shackle on the "top" block. If the event of a MOB, lifesling or not, that's so that once we "have" the MOB, we can snap on the shackle to the boom, swing it out over the side, and even one person can hoist away and recover the MOB, clear of the hull. That might not be the option to choose--but we keep it available because it very well might be, and it requires no de-rigging or fiddling with any other part of the boat.
The hardest part of a MOB recovery may very well be getting the MOB into the boat--without slamming the hull against them. I've spent enough time in the water next to boats to know that even with a 2-3 chop and everyone alert, that damned hull wants to crack heads.
Twelve years ago, the amount of knowledge we had on doing COB rescues was far less than is available today, thanks in large part to John Rousmaniere, and the COB symposiums he's helped fund and run.

I do carry a lifesling2 on my boat...and because of the relatively low freeboard, and multiple boarding points I generally feel I don't need a block and tackle for it. I've used the two-part block and tackle that is an option for the LifeSling, and it is fairly worthless.

In a pinch, I could use the mainsheet block and tackle on my boat, which is a six-to-one block system, and more than strong enough to pick up even the largest crewman. It would be relatively easy to unto the bottom block clevis pin and rig a shackle to it to hoist with. I would leave the top end connected to the boom and use my boom brake to hold it in position.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook