SailNet Community - View Single Post - Does the MacGregor 26s have the same bad rap as the 26m?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Will you be storing it mast up at the marina or taking it home?

If you'll be taking it home, how easy it is to set up and break down needs to be considered as it will be a major factor in how often you take it out.
Mine (Hunter 260) is about as easy as it gets when talking about a 26' boat. When people get really familiar with it, they can be set up and ready to go in 30 minutes. Some guys have an electric winch to raise the mast. Still, I keep it in a slip.

Depending on your budget, at least look at a Hunter 260 which is a water ballast boat, or its older sister, the Hunter 26. It's nice to not have to tow that extra ton of weight. It's not a heavy weather boat (I think she has a rating of C), but is a joy to sail. A galley, enclosed head, and a pop top make it something relatively comfortable at anchor.

If you are taking it up to lake Erie, then you would either need to keep a close eye on the weather and chop or look at something a little more forgiving should a nasty storm sneak up on you. If that's the case, then you should pass over that macgregor too. That is, unless you're some old salty sailor with a peg leg that's been through more hurricanes than the east coast as ever seen.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook