SailNet Community - View Single Post - What are your favorite iPhone/iPad sailing apps?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I just saw something pretty interesting in a West Marine flyer yesterday-

Turn your smartphone into a SPOT transponder. Basically, you buy a SPOT antenna, jack it into your smartphone's USB port and install the SPOT app on your smartphone. I like this, because I like combining gadgets instead of having piles of electronics.

The main concern is that smartphones normally aren't ruggedized or waterproof, so if you're going to use your smartphone or tablet as a communications and navigation tool, you need to protect it well.

I've found my Droid X to be pretty tough, but I would still isolate it belowdecks, in a dry-box.
That looks very cool. Since it will connect via bluetooth, there are several inexpensive waterproof cases for tablets (ipad) and cell phones. I have one for my ipad, it works great and have used it in the cockpit in the rain.

I suspect you could put the spot in one as well, even if separately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook