SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need boat buying advice
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road
Need boat buying advice

OK, so I need to get some of the collective wisdom here to figure out a new boat for me.

Currently I own a great Cal 29 on Lake Champlain. Really nice shape. I love the space (have 3 kids).

BUT, its becoming less frequent that all 5 of us go out, and when we do, its just for a single night overnight. The Cal would be perfect for week long jaunts round the lake, but that's not on the cards for a few years.

So, I am looking for a slightly smaller boat. Sleep 4 in comfort, 5 at a pinch for one night.

The next thing is being in Vermont, its a very short sailing season. I want something that I can trailer. I will still have a mooring, but being able to easily bring it back home (I live 1.5 hours from the mooring) for winter would save on storage and make working on her easier.

I'll admit I have been looking at MacGregors. I am not really interested in the whole power sailer thing, but a older classic (I hear they are better sailers) with a modest engine sounds like it might be a good fit. Also seems like you can get a newer MacGregor for the same money. After all, I only sail on a inland lake, I am not even coastal.

Any other ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook