SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring Etiquette
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Last weekend I was displeased with a powerboater who came into the anchorage late. When I had come in, there were two other boats in the same area. I spaced myself well between them and much closer to shore, essentially three points of a triangle. I was anchoring in 20 feet of water and knew that the low water mark would be around 10 feet. I put out 90 feet of chain and 30 feet of line and set with 3/4 throttle in mud/clay. I knew that even if the other boats had short rodes, I would be well clear of them.

Then just after dusk, a powerboat comes in and anchors between me and one of the other boats. He must have been anchoring almost on top of my anchor and he put out much less rode than I did. He was TOO CLOSE. I was concerned about our swings during the night as the tide changed and at one point we were only a couple boat lengths apart. He never should have anchored so close. He could have anchored farther away from all of us, including going out to the outer bay to anchor in 30 feet of water.

Then, to make matters worse, he ran his engine almost all night. I'm assuming he was powering his batteries, but it was really annoying given that he was so close to us.

I did enjoy the fact that in the morning, the local shore birds (starlings?) decided that his boat was a great place to stage feeding sorties. The completely lines his rails and fly bridge. They crapped all over his boat for a couple of hours before the Captain finally rolled out of the sack and tried to chase them away.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook