SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by stam22 View Post
Hello Maine Sail,
Excellent advice. I used to work at a body shop when I was in college, a long time ago, and back then, you had to cut lacquer paint jobs by wet sanding with 600, and then buff it with the orange compound (name escapes me, petroeum based, very toxic).
When I first decided to polish my boat, I asked an "old-timer" that owned the boatyard, if I should use the same products and procedures. He said 'hell no'. He told me about a product that he used when he worked at Shannon Boat Works. It's called Aquabuff 2000, water based, and it works great on gelcoat. They also make an Aquabuff 1000, which contains more grit. Just wondering if you've ever used them.
Thanks
Yes I have and they are good products, much better than 3M etc.. I still prefer the Presta products though and that is what I mostly use. Mostly I found the "application" method to be tedious and slow. With Presta I can apply right to my pad and keep the bottle in my tool belt. With Aquabuff the "pail" is awkward and does not lend well to ladders to being holstered in a tool belt for quick seamless buffing without climbing up and down a ladder.

Still, you can't go wrong with Aquabuff and if I recall a 1 gallon pail was about $35.00 and went quite a long way. Good stuff I just don't personally like the application method...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook