SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rocna Anhors
Thread: Rocna Anhors
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoastSailor View Post

Does anyone have first hand experience with these anchors?

Any opinions?

Regards,
TCS
Well, I have only a bit of experience and no real storms. I recently got one and used it to anchor in Moosehead Lake in Maine. I was in a long cove where they did a lot of logging back when they floated the logs out. These were small short logs, pulp sized, and the bottom was literally buried with them. Perhaps they accumulated over time, but I had the impression the market collapsed and a full raft of them was left in place, where they eventually sank. On shore ledge and on one bit of ledge poking out of the water in mid cove there were huge iron rings where they chained up the booms holding the raft.

My danforth was an absolute joke in these conditions, the rocna was better but not great, nothing could be great.

Here in Maine it's common to have a rock bottom. I got the rocna because it's single point has a much better chance to hook into a crevice than many other designs. I realize it could jam, but I'd rather lose my anchor and rode than my boat with me in it. I tied a shorter line with a float to the back of the anchor to retrieve it if stuck. I used 10 to 1 scope, with 20 ft of heavy chain.

I do like danforth types in a sand or sandy mud bottom.

I think there is a whole thread on them here somewhere.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook