SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help on cheap Fiberglass repair on boat
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011

WildJasmine is on a distinguished road
Help on cheap Fiberglass repair on boat

Background: My wife and I received a "free" Chrysler Lonestar 13 from a friend. We are planning on purchasing a sailboat in the 30 foot range in Febuary and just want this 13 footer to learn the basics. It will most likely just be given away when done so keeping costs down it priority #1.

All of the rigging is in decent shape, we have a sail for it and it floats great.

Problem: All of the wood is almost completely rotted out from the boat sitting. My first thought was to do everything the right way replace the wood, reglass it and be done. Im learning that at this moment in time I dont have the time or money to waste to do this. (I will have the time and cash starting in February but we want to get sailing asap, we have the sickness)

The beam running down the center is what is rotted out, the mast and the hardware that attaches the Mainsheet to the boom are attached to this beam. The mount for the mast has already pulled out of the wood and the hardware for the mainsheet is still there and feels somewhat strong when I pull on it.

I am looking for the quickest and cheapest route to rig this to work because like I said I will probably just give it away when done with it in three months

Fiberglass epoxy resin? would polyester resin work for a temporary fix? To reseat the mast hardware? Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook