SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson 32 Missing Rudder
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Congratulations, cooltec, you've had a conventional rudder failure. There has been water in your rudder for some time, possibly 10+ years, which rusted the armature until it snapped. Al it takes is a hariline or pinhole, and time.

About five years ago my friend had a long and unsatisfactory experience with Foss Foam of Florida (aka newrudders now?) and I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. the job took more than twice as long as predicted, rudder was sent back and remade, and still came back not working like the old one. Boat lost almost three months out of the water, cost wasn't cheap. Folks were very uncommunicative. On a 0-10 scale, I'd rate them zero, but that's just one personal observation from one transaction.

If you locate a used rudder--check it out carefully. If there's any sign of moisture inside, as there often is with old rudders, it needs to be opened up and rebuilt or it WILL FAIL IN TIME. I've heard there are a couple of "rudder shops" in the US who do good work, no experience with any of them personally, no names on file. But Foss...I'd burn the boat first.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook