SailNet Community - View Single Post - HELP! Keel Bottomed Out
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011

Merit25lovers is on a distinguished road
HELP! Keel Bottomed Out

So,

We are from near Binghamton NY and there have been devastating floods this week. Fortunately we are up high and dry and other than power outages and my 3 month old car being left at work and totally submerged under water - we are fine.

We decided to go for a sail today to take our minds off the flood. Our boat is an hour North, in Cayuga Lake. Although the Cayuga area experienced heavy rainfall, there was little or no flooding. The lake was very high and had a minor amount of debris floating in the channel outside our marina.

Just as we headed out of the channel, I turned the motor up to 1/2 throttle (about 4 MPH) and BOOM! The boat raised out of the water, then back down. It was obvious that we hit something on the bottom of the lake (about 7-9 feet just outside the channel.

Our boat draft is about 5 ft, as we have a fixed keel. I immediately turned back into the marina and tied back up to the slip. After about an hour there was no water being taken on, and things appeared be OK.

But now I am scared to death to head back out. And I'm not going to know about the damage until we take the boat out of the water in the fall (we have to have it lifted out).

Does anyone have experience in this area? Should I have NOT gone out 3 days after heavy rainfall? And how do I know where that THING that I hit is resting now????

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook