SailNet Community - View Single Post - what to do? what to do? looking for wisdom
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 09-11-2011 Thread Starter
tortuga22

what to do? what to do? looking for wisdom

ok, i wanna be on a boat. i live on a huge river that leads to the port of Savannah GA. i would like to buy a boat maybe 24 feet (i dont need much space) i nearly bought one in hawaii, but diddnt want to deal with that there. the biggest reason i want a sailboat is because well i love to travel. i have my passport now and i would like to sail the Carribean and Mexico and eventually the rest of the world. i love water, especially a beach (surfing) though i have never been in open ocean (im a little worried about this) i can deal without several amenities, im a backpacker style guy. i have taken a bath in a lake and i can live for months at a time without refrigeration. though i must have electricity - im a techie im sure solar could cover my needs. but i am very minimalist, i could live in a boat with a 20 gallon water / holding tank for extended periods.

my problem is that i dont know what kind of boat i want. i would really like to build my own boat or refinish one with a good hull. im a man of many skills electrical engineer, carpenter, and mechanic. (i would like to know in depth what im driving so when something happens, i know exactly how to fix it) i want it to be fast (according to sailboats) should i go with sail or solar electric? catamaran or solo hull, planing displacement?
i want to have a boat that hauls ass has enough room for a nice sized berth, a head with holding tank, fresh water tank, - cheapest propulsion dollar for dollar. and beaching capabilities(super shallow draft) capable of sailing the gulf

im considering being crew on a cruise somewhere so i can get some experience, but i dont know how to go about doing that.

looking for some wisdom
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome