SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heaven Can Wait - but not the Womboat
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Now that I have looked at the NOR, how long is the course?
how many laps can the womboat do with GOOD crew in that time?
The wombat not with standing mind you.
Wombet maybe!

Couse is basically 30 nms. We should be able to do that in 24 hours , easy.

The lake is notorious for calms, can get quite nasty in a southerly gale. Nothing like a Great Lakes storm though. LM is placid by comparison. Division 2 boats covered between 120 - 150 nms. Top placed did 146 so I guess we'll be hoping for somewhere in the middle of that. I'm presuming top placed boat had a crew who knew what they were doing. Its bound to take us a couple of laps just to figure out the basics and stop falling over each other, so lets work on 3 to 4 four laps, unles it is a complete fiasco.

I like the bit in the NOR where they recommend skippers note each makes coordinates in daylight .... we may not make it round one lap before night descends .....

Anywho, I'm looking forward to it. 50nms dash up the coast from Sydney to Swansea. We'll do that the Friday or Saturday before the race. I'll enjoy that cos I usually do like offshore stuff but it will be just me and the Wombet so no crew training going on.

Bent spent a stormy day on board a few weeks back back but we did little sailing. Hartley has never been on board and we are still trying to lock in another couple of crew. If we don't, no big deal. Four people can handle it for 24 hours. We won't be using a symmetric, only the assy, so sail handling should be no big deal.

Hartley is a racer so I guess we'll make him tactician. Then when it all goes wrong we'll know who to blame.

As I said, biggest ask will be getting everyone used to the ship and her layout is intended to make short handed cruising relatively simple so I hope we don't need to do too much tacking.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook