SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cats on Board
Thread: Cats on Board
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd chime in anyway (as I've just joined).

DE-CLAWING a cat is horrendous and should be outlawed.
It's an appalling practice.

I have neither moggy nor pouch but I am considering one or the other to join be aboard my new (new to me) yacht for year-round live-aboard.

Its been interesting read up on this thread and this one (about dogs).

it's been interesting to read up pros and cons of each.
I just wonder could a dog be trained to use the on-board toilet?

Another thought, could a dog/cat bed be set up somewhere with a big gimble?

I'm thinking about either a springer/springer sized dog or a Bengal cat.
Bengals (if you've not heard of them) are half Asian leopard cat, half domestic moggy. They are hypo-allergenic btw (my friend has two).
Their behaviour can also be a little more like a dog than a cat, my friend's cats will go for walks with her up into the mountains near her home and go swimming etc

and they are pretty...

But I wonder how happy either animal would be 'living' aboard full time (38-42ft), primarily I will be marina based which I'm sure won't be a problem but I am wondering if I would be being selfish by taking a cat/dog with me on longer voyages.

my life style means that I work from home and so either animal would get plenty of attention. I guess ultimately it depends on the individual animal.

As much as I would love to have either on board I can see it being a tricky decision between one or the other.

But how do you possibly find out if an individual animal is happy at sea?
the only way is to find out but by then it's too late there is already a bond formed...

Hmmm...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook