SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dead Souls in SN
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
For a time I spent about an hour every couple of days purging the list of 'members'
who, while not active 'spammers' joined for reasons undetermined (probably automated somehow) often with signature links to non related commercial sites or whatever. I'd estimate at the time there would be 10-20 such 'joins' every few days.

Never could figure out what they gained by 'joining' but eventually got tired of the thankless job of trying to purge them (also one time inadvertantly got rid of a legitimate join)

I suspect that a large number of the published 'membership' would fall into that category.

Your time based filter-out idea has merit, but that would be an admin function, beyond our capability as mere mods..... A more rigorous signup routine would likely discourage a lot of that too..

btw using the search function for the user will at least get you to a post, and then to the profile fairly quickly.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 09-12-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook