SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to Conserve Water on Long Passages
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011

FritzN is on a distinguished road
How to Conserve Water on Long Passages

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I visited the board.

I'm presently located in Puerto Vallarta, waiting out the Eastern Pacific hurricane season. Earlier this year I spent a month in Ixtapa/Zihautanejo, and met a very interesting guy. He had just pulled into Marina Ixtapa, ending a long passage from Panama -- and an even longer (16-year) circumnavigation. He was 63 years old, had very bad legs, and could barely walk.

He was a real character, and his boat had a lot of deferred maintenance. I took him out to lunch, and bought him his first beers since Panama. He had some amazing stories.

When I asked him if he had a watermaker, he said that he didn't. When I asked him how he conserved water, he said all the things that you'd expect. Then I asked him how he cleaned his clothes, and he said with saltwater.

The next day, I saw him on the docks. I had thought about his remark about washing clothes with saltwater, and asked him if, in tropical climates, that didn't make for pretty sticky, uncomfortable clothing. He smiled deviously and replied, "Fritz, to tell you the truth, once I get offshore, I don't wear any clothes."

I thought to myself, "What a sensible way to cut down on water usage and unnecessary work."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook