SailNet Community - View Single Post - I guessing we should've reefed or ?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011

anthemj24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSchock View Post
The design flaws of the J/24 are well known, no need to be so defensive about your boat. Most sailors in the US have spent a fair amount of time on J/24s and are aware of the design flaws.

It is good that you and your wife enjoy your boat and have enough skill to sail comfortably with the 150 in 20knts.

The OP was asking a question about sailing a J/22 in heavy air. I believe my answer helped him.
The same could be said about the Santana 20, however you never seem to drag that into a thread.

From the Santana 20 class website

Quote:
A19: The original Santana 20s were built with square cutouts in the V berth and quarter berth. These were seen as good places to store sails and gear. As the boat became more and more of a race boat these holds were not used. And as Santana 20s were raced in more and more breeze -- and broached, took on water, and capsized, things changed again. With no positive flotation, the boat would actually sink pretty fast. At some point in the production series, the squares stopped being cut in the berths and instead round inspection ports were installed. This would allow an air pocket to float the boat in an emergency. This is not something most folks should be too worried about, but if you are concerned about sailing in heavy air, seal those square cutouts, lock the front hatch down, and sail with your vertical companionway hatch in place. With these precautions it would take a tidal wave to sink you.
I am not at all defensive about J24s, but I will be vocal if someone is exaggerating the issues with the boat. It is not difficult to handle in heavy wind, and the sinking issue is solved be simply latching the cockpit lazarettes. If your intent is to be helpful, then you ought to include that simple bit of information on how to avoid sinking.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook