SailNet Community - View Single Post - Preventing sway when unstepping mast
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011

cdhickey is on a distinguished road
Preventing sway when unstepping mast

Unfortunately, my sailing season is soon coming to an end and I need to deal with putting the old girl away for the winter. I'm going to try unstepping the mast on my 24' for the first time and have searched and read quite a bit on the topic. My plan is to use a ginpole with a winch (like discussed here ). My biggest question is how to best avoid the mast swaying from side to side (or more likely, right into a neighboring boat) when being lowered. I will have at least one helper with me who may be able to guide the mast as it comes down. I would also leave my shrouds attached- the chainplates are in line with the mast step but about a foot lower and I'm not sure how much help they will be once the mast starts to drop.

I have seen a number of solutions for unstepping a mast using bridles to reduce sway such as the one discussed in Good Old Boat here and those referenced in the ginpole article. These seemed to be aimed at those doing the deed solo- are the necessary for unstepping with a helper, or would they be overkill if I'm working with a helper?