SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying First Boat Advice Needed On Offer Process
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Oh, the broker has identified someone that might make an offer, if certain conditions are met...

Dude, that's not an "offer."

You have CASH available. (You're an endangered species in this market.)

Here is how I would handle this in your situation;
  • Look at the boat, and take your sweet time. Make notes, take pictures; shake the rigging, work the tiller, move the cushions, look at the sails, look at the engine, look in the bilge, look at the chain plates, shake the propellor shaft, take everything out of the lockers, lie in the berths, do what ever you damn well please - well, within reason. Also, you should not use any tools to open anything.
  • After you (and your significant other, if appropriate) have looked at everything thoroughly, tell the broker that you want to sleep on it.
  • Go have a nice dinner
  • The next day, look through all the notes and pictures that you took. Talk it over with your SO, again, if appropriate.
  • Ask yourself two questions
    1. "At this time of my life, is this boat worth >80% of what the buyer is asking?"
    2. "Can I live with that much money missing from my bank account?"
    If the answer to both of these questions is "YES," call the broker, and offer him 80% of asking. If the answer to either question is "NO," call the broker, and tell him why you are not going to make an offer. Regardless of your decision, at this point you owe the broker a call.
  • If you go for it, be prepared for the broker to try to persuade you to increase your offer. If he does, tell him to present your offer as is, or you'll walk. 80% of asking, without involving a loan officer, in the fall, is a great offer.

Good luck!

Last edited by eherlihy; 09-16-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook