SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any O'Day 34/35 racers out there?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011
Oday 30 & Ranger 23

RecoveringRacer is on a distinguished road
Oday Barber Hauler

With my Kevlar 155 and 140 percent Genoas, I just used a small snatch block attached to a line, and cranked it in from the windward sheet winch. With my high-clewed 133 percent cruising genoa, I used the same block and line, but cranked it from the windward cabin top winch. With my no. 3 blade, I attached a snatch block at a fixed distance from each side of the mast collar with a "Loup".

Regarding the sails, the J-105 has the same "J" dimension as my Oday 30, but a slightly longer "I", requiring minor recutting. I was able to find a few J-105 owners who had slightly used 155% and 140% genoas for PHRF racing by actually advertising on the J-105 web site. I used a class jib for my blade. I even found a beautiful symmetrical spinnaker from a J-105. Those guys have deeper pockets than I do!

If you have a 43 by 14 foretriangle, you might look at the J-35s. They have slightly larger J and I dimensions, but a fairly simple luff recut could make their headsails fit for about $300 apiece. If you leave the tack where it is, but tip the head back (down the leech) you will raise the clew. This will have the benefit of narrowing your sheeting angle a bit, because the lead will be shifted aft.

Last edited by RecoveringRacer; 09-22-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook