SailNet Community - View Single Post - Teak or no teak...
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2001

RichH will become famous soon enough
Teak or no teak...

I have several ideas why teak decks are popular on expensive boats:
They DO look good. They do provide unparalleled footing. Those that install them like the aesthetics.... the same aesthetics that include lots of britework, lots of wood cabinetry, lots of ''ambience''. My definition of ''ambience'' being the direct opposite of a sterile chlorox bottle. Not all who sail are concerned about saving 0.04 seconds per tack because of the heavier weight. There are even some that dont need to have the fastest, lightest, most ''state of the art'' (fad) .... and yet seem to be very happy, satisfied and content. (I even sand my deck every two years - oh horror of horrors) Some people simply like the aesthetics. Simply put, individual taste is not disputable.
......The same argument can be posed for adding pigment to gelcoat or anodizing aluminum: ... heavier, adds to maintenance, changes stabilty charactersistics, lessens strength, degrades after 15-20 years, etc. etc. Its all in the eye of the beholder. BTW the prettiest deck I ever saw was .... clear white pine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook