SailNet Community - View Single Post - Preventing sway when unstepping mast
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by okawbow View Post
I use a piece of 1/4" chain shackled to 2 of the stantion bases on each side of the mast. The length of the chain is adjusted so that a halyard attaches at a point even with, and the same height as the mast hinge point. That keeps the mast from falling to the side.
If I'm reading this correctly, my system is similar and works well. I have three legged guys on each side of the mast. One leg attaches to a stanchion base forward of the mast and one to a stanchion base aft of the mast and the third to mast cleats about breast high. The three legs intersect on a plane with the mast base where it pivots. Make it out of appropriately strong line and make at least one of the legs adjustable on each side. It is a lot easier to stow than a rigid a frame and much easier to construct. And I would suggest using this or some other form of mechanical aid even if you do have enough man power to do without. People tend to let go of things at the most inopportune times.

Oh, and I use my jib halyard in conjunction with a gin pole and block and tackle (my soft boom vang) to lower and raise the mast.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy

Last edited by Izzy1414; 09-15-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook