SailNet Community - View Single Post - Preventing sway when unstepping mast
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
You guys have me wondering if my A-frame might be better built with just 2 pieces of lumber, and bolts/straps around my stantions to keep them from kicking out/moving. Hmmm. Gears grinding now. I'll take a picture, since I have to do it this weekend, and let you know how I did.

By the way, we got the mast up, just the 2 of us... but first me lifting it and placing it on the end of a 4x4 post with a yoke on it (8 feet up).. Meanwhile the mate grabbed the jib halyard (or was it spinnaker - no matter) and she yanked on the halyard as I aped the mast up. My boat is shorter than yours, but has a relatively heavy mast for it's size.

This worked, but our first attempt resulted in me letting it lose, and nearly getting slammed by the mast as it fell down onto the stern lifeline, pulling my poor wife halyard, rope burn and all.

I am REQUIRED to come up with a better way then that, she banged her arm good on the bow pulpit, and had significant rope burns. Meanwhile my shoulder was bruised and I darned near got smashed by a VERY expensive mast (mast survived nicely).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook