SailNet Community - View Single Post - Never step off a moving boat?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
I always step off my moving boat or have a trusted guest step off. With a strong current and a 6hp outboard the boat is moving until at least two dock lines are secured.

Normal procedure come into the slip with enough power so that before the first fender forward of the shrouds nudges the finger pier, motor is shifted into neutral, I or trusted guest stand outside the shrouds, and step off as the fender nudges. Spring line in hand and boat temporarily secured while other dock lines secured and adjusted.

But not this afternoon. Single handed approach the slip at just under half throttle to overcome the current, bow enters the slip, motor to neutral, I go forward step off at the shrouds as the fender nudges home, spring line in hand ready to drop onto the dock cleat. The boat starts to gain speed reversing out of the dock, closest cleat is now at the end of the finger pier.

With spring line on the end cleat the boat swings around to form a perfect tee with the pier, just missing neighbors both sides. Step back on the now stationary boat and with longer dock lines and power get the boat back into its slip.

I have docked at marinas with almost no current and at my marina at slack current, then it is possible to step off a stationary boat.