SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just bought a 1989 Sabre 34II Targa!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys.

Sabre actually uses Spartan seacocks (great bronze!) They all moved freely when we got the boat, but they hadn't been serviced in awhile. Lapped and greased all 7 including the deck scuppers the first winter (while I still had inside storage).

I'll be pulling the thru hulls on a few of them this year just to check them out. They look good from the outside, but without pulling them, I'm not sure if they are still in good shape.

Jodie,

I like the wing keel so far. The boat still out points most on the lake (besides the racing boats), and I can bring it much closer to shore than all the others, but I'm worried about it getting stuck in the mud (wife ran aground this year, but it pulled right off) with that anchor like keel shape. I was looking for a wing keel at the beginning of our search for a new boat due to us wanting to go to the Bahamas, but now that we are spreading our adventure a bit further south, I may have gone with the standard keel instead.

With my wife and I using this as a liveaboard next year, I really like the setup with the aft cabin... it gets used as a garage. We wanted a settee that wasn't just straight on both sides (c shaped), but with this and the fixed table, you do give-up some floor space and it makes the salon a little more cramped. The v-berth on the Targa doesn't have as much foot space, but the rest of the berth feels bigger. You get the sink in the v berth too, but I cannot imagine that will ever be useful (so far it isn't).

The only thing that I do not like about the Targa is the fiberglass pan they used on this model. I feel like this isn't something that Sabre should have used. It makes it difficult to get to some of the wiring and also some of the plumbing. It does have one nice feature... it incorporates the mast step in the fiberglass. The classic model has an issue with the mast step getting soggy from water leaking down the mast and I do not have to worry about that!

I really like the Mark II design in either Targa or classic. Jump on both and see which fits you best.